A Group of Ministers, headed by Home Minister Rajnath Singh, has been constituted by the government to strengthen the legal and institutional frameworks to deal with and prevent sexual harassment at workplace.
- The GoM has been set up in the wake of #MeToo movement where several women have publicly named people who had harassed them at their workplace.
- The members of the GoM are Road Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari, Defence Minister Nirmala
- The GoM will, within 3 months of its constitution, examine the existing legal and institutional frameworks for dealing with matters of sexual harassment of women at workplace & provisions for the safety of women.
- The GoM has been constituted in view of the need for broader consultation on this issue, from the point of view of developing recommendations and laying down a comprehensive plan of action and for ensuring its timely implementation
- It will recommend action required for effective implementation of the existing provisions, as well as for strengthening the existing legal and institutional frameworks for addressing issues related to sexual harassment at workplace.