Prelims Syllabus : Climate change Mains Syllabus : GS 3: Conservation, environmental pollution and Degradation, environmental impact assessment
- A deal has been brought down at COP24 to breathe life into the landmark 2015 Paris climate treaty.
- Delegates from nearly 200 states finalized a common rule book designed to deliver on the Paris agreement
- The Katowice agreement (COP24) aims to deliver the Paris goals of limiting global temperature rises to well below 2C.
- The summit accord, reached by 196 states, outlines plans for a common rulebook for all countries – regulations that will govern the nuts and bolts of how countries cut carbon, provide finance to poorer nations and ensure that everyone is doing what they say they are doing.
Concerns and challenges:
- Climate experts and scientists have been mentioning that “Paris Rulebook” will not be enough to stop carbon pollution from reaching critical levels
- Countries would have to do far more to curb fossil fuel use and deforestation to avoid the droughts, superstorms, deadly heat waves and coastal floods associated with global warming.