GS 2: Internal Security
Why in News?
The Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated the 426.60 m long ‘Pre Stressed Concrete Box Girder’ type Diffo Bridge over Diffo river on Roing-Koronu-Paya road in Arunachal Pradesh. The construction of the bridge was undertaken by the Project Udayak of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO).
Significance of the Diffo Bridge:
The Diffo Bridge will provide for uninterrupted access between Dibang Valley and Lohit valley region of Eastern Arunachal Pradesh together with providing an all-weather road to our troops deployed on the China border.
- Project Udayank of the Border Roads Organisation was raised on June 1990 at Doomdooma Assam.
- The name of the project Udayank is synonymous to the land of rising sun which fits appropriately to the area it operates.
- It consists of two border road taskforces undertaking construction activities in the North Eastern region.
Border Roads Organisation (BRO):
- Border Roads Organisation (BRO) develops and maintains road networks in India’s border areas and friendly neighbouring countries. Border Road Organisation has also undertaken the infrastructure development activities in neighbouring countries such as Afghanistan, Bhutan, Myanmar, and Sri Lanka. The Border Roads Organisation works under the Ministry of Defence. Develop & Maintain the operational road infrastructure of General Staff (GS) in the border areas. Contribute to the socio-economic development of the border states. Developing & Maintaining roads to keep line of control through in Original Sectors and Re-deployed Sectors.
- Executing additional tasks as laid down by the government contributing to the war effort.