Prelims Syllabus : Information Technology Mains Syllabus : GS-III Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, Robotics, Nano-Technology, Bio-Technology and Issues Relating to Intellectual property Rights.
Why in News?
- Recently, the Kantar insights and consulting company released its ICUBE 2019 report on digital adoption and usage trends in India.
- It is an annual tracking study, which considered to be the currency for digital adoption in the country, gauges the changing digital ecosystem in India, measuring Internet usage by demographic, activity and device segments.
- It estimated at 574 million, the number of monthly active Internet users have registered an annual growth of 24% indicating an overall penetration of 41%.
- It projects 11% growth for 2020; estimates 639 million monthly active Internet users.
- All monthly active Internet users use a mobile phone as one of the devices to access the Internet.
- It shows about 84% of users access the Internet for entertainment purposes.
- At 38%, school-going children segment in the age group of 15 years or below has shown a promising growth on internet usage.
- The access to information and education, social media, gaming and entertainment, especially, Sports, are driving the adoption. Content is the king and is driving the surge in daily internet usage.
- The Rural India registered a 45% growth in the monthly active internet users in 2019. It is now estimated that there are 264 million internet users in rural India, and this is expected to reach 304 million in 2020.
Important Factors for the Growth:
- The convenience of content availability across devices and on the go low-cost Internet service resulted in a significant growth in the entertainment consumption in the last year.
- The Local Language and video are the underlying factors for the internet boom in rural. This is expected to continue in 2020 too, especially in view of the lockdown.
- The Children and housewives will be the new Internet adopters in the next year or two.
- It will be more about breaking the mind set barriers to access the web and most of these users already have Internet at home
- The Video, Voice and Vernacular (3 Vs) will be significant usage factors for the Internet users.
- It will drive higher Engagement and frequency of usage, thereby, Helping the users Mature in their Internet Journey.
- IOT and Smart Devices will make the internet as much a Household Phenomenon as it is an Individual Phenomenon.