Prelims Syllabus : Bilateral Cooperation Mains Syllabus : GS2Q – Bilateral Regional and Global Grouping and agreements involving India and / or affecting India’s Interests
- India has extended USD 15 million assistance to Niger for organising the African Union (AU) summit scheduled to be held in Niamey from July 7-8.
- The support of grant assistance was in response to a specific request made by the Niger government.
- This year, Niger is hosting an AU summit for the first time.
- In this AU summit, the historic African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) is likely to be launched.
- Bilateral ties between India and Niger have expanded significantly since the opening of the Indian Resident Diplomatic Mission in Niamey in 2009.
- India has provided Lines of Credit worth USD 96.54 million to Niger for projects in transport, electrification, solar energy, and potable drinking water.
- India is also establishing the Mahatma Gandhi International Convention Centre (MGICC) in Niamey under grant assistance.