Prelims Syllabus : Mains Syllabus :
- The indigenously built Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile Agni-V has been test-fired successfully from Abdul Kalam island under Chandipur Interim Test Range.
- This is the fourth successful test of this missile. Previously the test of Agni 4 was unsuccessful. It can carry both nuclear and traditional weapons.
Agni V Missile – Important Facts:
- Agni V ballistic missile is the brainchild of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). It is the most advanced in the series.
- Agni-V is a nuclear capable long-range missile with new technologies in terms of navigation and guidance, warhead and engine.
- The three stage, 17- meter tall, two-meter wide Agni-V missile has a range of 5000 km.
- It can carry a nuclear warhead weighing up to 1.5 tonnes.
- Agni-V uses Ring Laser Gyro based Inertial Navigation System RINS. It is the most modern and gives very high accuracy.
- The Micro Navigation System or MINS helped the missile reach its target with precision.
- Other features of Agni- V missile include a high speed on- board computer, fault tolerant software and a robust reliable bus.
- The advanced computer and the inertial navigation system are the highlights of the missile as they aid in precision of the path.
- The missile is highly reliable, has longer shelf life and enhanced mobility compared to the other versions.