Prelims Syllabus : Indian International Relations Mains Syllabus :
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention organised by the Drinking Water and Sanitation Ministry to mark the beginning of the 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Ministers and delegates from 68 countries are participating in the event.
- The Convention will include plenary sessions and technical sessions, as well as an exhibition of global sanitation innovations. The participating dignitaries will also be taken on a Gandhi Trail, including visits to places of significance to Mahatma Gandhi’s life.
- The President addressed the convention and suggested the five important themes that countries may choose to adopt while meeting the problem of insufficient sanitation. They include ensuring that people lead the planning, implementation and management of sanitation programmes.
- The President said achieving universal access to adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene by 2030 is a major challenge in many parts of the world.
- He also said, the Swachh Bharat Mission is not just about physical cleaning, it is about spiritual, social cleansing and reawakening which represent the spirit of our independence movement.
- Swachh Bharat is a revolution playing out in real time. As an instrument of mass mobilisation, as a people’s movement, and as a national goal towards which there is near total commitment, it represents the spirit of our independence movement.
- The Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention (MGISC) will be a 4-day event that will bring together Sanitation Ministers and sector specialists from around the world. It is organised by the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Government of India. Participants will share success stories, exchange best practices and engage in frank discussions around sanitation. The culmination of the event will be the launch of Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth year celebrations. The Convention aims to share sanitation success stories and lessons from the participating countries and will culminate on October 2nd, 2018, with the launch of the Mahatma’s 150th birth year celebrations in India, as SBM enters its final year of implementation.
- The Convention will include a field visit, plenary sessions, and technical sessions. A parallel exhibition of sanitation innovations will be held at the meeting venue.