Why in News?
- Union Minority Affairs Minister launched the country’s first National Scholarship Portal mobile app that would make the government welfare schemes more accessible to needy students.
- This app will ensure a smooth, accessible and hassle-free scholarship system for students from poor and weaker sections.
National Scholarship Portal:
- The students will get all the information regarding various scholarships on this mobile app.
- They will be able to apply for scholarships through the app.
- The students can also upload necessary documents on this app; can check the status of their application and scholarship disbursement status etc.
- All the scholarships are being given directly into the bank accounts of the needy students under Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode through the National Scholarship Portal.
- It has ensured that there is no scope for duplication and leakage.
Success of such Scholarship:
- During the last four years, about three crore students belonging to the poor and weaker sections of minorities have benefited from various scholarship programmes.
- The beneficiaries include about 1.63 crore girls.
- The school dropout rate among Muslim girls, which was earlier more than 70 per cent, has now been reduced to about 35-40 per cent due to awareness and educational empowerment programmes.