Why in news?
- The National Commission for Women (NCW) has decided to support northeast livelihood programmes for women, particularly for those falling under the younger age group, through skill development and specialised training.
- The main aim behind the move is to empower the young women as individuals and enable them to earn a living for themselves.
- The DoNER Ministry has said that the National Commission for Women can supplement its efforts and resources in carrying forward several of the women-oriented projects that have already been undertaken by the Ministry and the North-Eastern Council.
- In this regard, the DoNER Minister of State made a special mention of a number of Self Help Groups (SHGs) of women doing a commendable work in the region.
- The DoNER Ministry also assured the NCW that the PSUs working under it will offer their collaboration and cooperation in women-oriented welfare programmes in the region.
- Besides, during the meeting between the NCW and the DoNER Ministry, the issue of Northeast women, particularly of younger age groups, living in metros like Bengaluru and Mumbai was also discussed.
- Though the women in the northeast are quite unbound as far as their contribution in outdoor work is concerned, there is still scope for raising the levels of education among them, especially among women living in remote and rural areas.
- The livelihood programmes will impart skill training to these women in order to make them self-reliant.
National Commission for Women (NCW):
- The NCW is a statutory body generally concerned with advising the government on all policy matters affecting women.
- It was established in January 1992 under the National Commission for Women Act, 1990 as per the provisions of the Indian Constitution.
- The objective of the NCW is to represent the rights of women in the country and to provide a voice for their issues and concerns.
- It recommends remedial legislative measures, advise Government on all policy matters affecting women and facilitate redressal of grievances related to women.