GS 2: Internal Security
Why in news?
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has approved the report of a task force created by MHA to identify areas for use of space technology in improving Border Management.
The key aim is to strengthen island and border security and facilitate the development of infrastructure in border and island areas.
The report has identified the following areas for the use of space technology:
- Island development
- Border Security
- Communication and Navigation
- GIS and Operations Planning System
- Border Infrastructure Development
- Headed by Joint Secretary (Border Management) and comprising members from BSF, Department of Space and BM Division, MHA, the task force consulted all stakeholders including Border Guarding Forces (BGFs), ISRO, National Security Council Secretariat (NSCS) and Ministry of Defence (MoD) to finalise the report.
- The major recommendations of the report include building capacity in BGFs to use space resources for security, operational planning and border infrastructure development.
- To execute the project in a time bound manner, the report has proposed a short, medium and long term plan for implementation in five years in close coordination with ISRO and MoD.
- In short term, the report proposes to meet the immediate needs of BGFs through procurement of high-resolution imagery and the hiring of bandwidth for communications.
- In the midterm, one satellite will be launched by ISRO for the exclusive use of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- Over the long term, the Home Ministry will develop ground segment and network infrastructure to share satellite resources by user agencies, develop a Central Archival Facility for storing various imagery resources and dissemination of the same to user agencies.
- The deployment of Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) in remote areas will be also coordinated by satellite communications.
- Besides, the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) -based GPS will provide navigation facilities for operational parties in high altitude, remote and difficult borders and naxal areas.