2ND PHASE OF RIVER INFORMATION SYSTEM BETWEEN FARAKKA- PATNA
GS 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
Why in news?
The Union Minister of Water resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, inaugurate Phase 2 of the River Information System on National Waterway-1 (River Ganga) between Farakka and Patna and also unveil new arrangement of Navigation Lock at Farakka that would enable breeding of Hilsa fish in River Ganga and help preserve the river ecosystem.
The River Information System (RIS) (Farakka -Patna):
- It will enhance the swift electronic data transfer between mobile vessels and base stations on shore through advance and real-time exchange of information.
- It is a form of vessel traffic management using next generation technology. It will help in India is a landmark in itself.
- Under phase II, five base stations – Manihari, Bhagalpur, Munger, Barh and Hatidah and one control station have been made at Patna.
- IWAI (Inland Waterways Authority of India) is implementing the project in three phases on NW-1. Earlier, in 2016, the first phase of RIS – on Haldia- Farakka stretch was commissioned. Work on third, Patna-Varanasi stretch is currently in progress.
- RIS Services are a combination of sensors like Automated Identification system, Meteorological and Hydrological equipment and software related services designed to optimize traffic and transport processes in inland navigation. RIS works on the lines of Air Traffic Controls.
- It aims to streamline the exchange of information between waterway operators and users.