66th NATIONAL FILM AWARDS TO BE DECLARED AFTER GENERAL ELECTIONS, 2019
24, Apr 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
GS 1: Art and Culture
Why in News?
- Since the Model Code of Conduct (MCC) is in force, which facilitates level playing field to all political parties and the candidates and inter alia seeks to ensure that the power of media is not used in such a manner which affects the general conduct and level playing field during the election process.
- It has been decided to declare the awards after the election process is over and the MCC concludes.
National Film Awards:
- The National Film Awards is the most prominent film award ceremonies in India. Established in 1954, it has been administered, along with the International Film Festival of India and the Indian Panorama, by the Indian government’s Directorate of Film Festivals since 1973.
- Every year, a national panel appointed by the government selects the winning entry, and the award ceremony is held in New Delhi, where the President of India presents the awards.
- This is followed by the inauguration of the National Film Festival, where the award-winning films are screened for the public.
- Declared for films produced in the previous year across the country, they hold the distinction of awarding merit to the best of Indian cinema overall, as well as presenting awards for the best films in each region and language of the country.