75th ANNIVERSARY OF AZAD HIND GOVERNMENT
20, Oct 2018
Prelims level : Art & Culture – History in News Mains level :
- Union government is to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the formation of Azad Hind Government on 21st October, 2018, at the Red Fort, Delhi by hoisting the National flag and unveiling the plaque.
- Traditionally, the prime minister hoists the national flag at the Red Fort on Independence Day.
- The prime minister will also lay the foundation stone of a museum dedicated to the Azad Hind Fauj.It is located in special barrack of the Red Fort where Indian National Army soldiers faced trials by British authorities
- The Azad Hind Government, founded on 21st October, 1943 was inspired by Neta ji Subhash Chandra Bose who was the leader of Azad Hind Government and also the Head of State of this Provisional Indian Government-in-exile. It was a part of the freedom movement, originating in 1940s outside India with a purpose of allying with Axis powers to free India from British rule. The existence of the Azad Hind Government gave a greater legitimacy to the independence struggle against the British.
- Pertinently, the role of Azad Hind Fauj or the Indian National Army (INA) had been crucial in bequeathing a much-needed impetus to India’s struggle for Independence.
- Although it was short-lived, some historians consider it an important milestone in India’s journeys to independence.