29, Jul 2019
Prelims level : Governance- Elections & Electoral Reforms, Institutional Reforms Mains level : GS-II- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Why in News?
- The motto of ‘Accessible Elections’ was one among the many initiatives of Election Commission to make the world’s largest democratic exercise inclusive and participative for all.
- During this election special focus was given to ensure the participation of Persons with Disabilities.
Facilitation for Persons with Disabilities:
- The electors with disabilities and senior citizens were mapped polling station wise to provide them targeted and need-based assistance on the day of poll.
- During the election, all the polling stations were equipped with enough supply of wheelchairs and it was ensured that all polling stations had sturdy ramps for the convenience of PwD electors.
- All the polling stations in Lok Sabha Election 2019 had a sign language expert, signage and transport facility.
- To facilitate PwDs during the enrollment process door to door registration drives were carried out, a special mobile application was also developed by the Commission for easy registration.
- This election was witness to many firsts in the domain of accessibility of all; EVMs used in the elections were embossed with Braille signage for the visually impaired voters’ assistance.
- Other documents like voters’ slip, voter guide had braille signage too. Accessibility Observers were introduced, who ensured all the polling stations are accessible to the PwDs.