28, May 2019
Prelims level : Science & Technology Mains level : Awareness In The Fields Of It, Space, Computers, Robotics, Nano-Technology
Why in news?
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully test fired AKASH-MK-1S missile.
- It is surface to air anti-aircraft missile with a strike range of 25 km and capability to carry warhead of 60 kilogram.
- It can reach an altitude of 18 km and can be fired from both tracked and wheeled platforms.
- The missile is guided by a phased array fire control radar called ‘Rajendra’ which is termed as Battery Level Radar (BLR) with a tracking range of about 60 km.
- The Akash-MK-1S is capable of striking down enemy fighter jets and drones very effectively and accurately.