Andaman and Nicobar Initiatives
01, Jan 2019
Prelims level : “Polity- acts and amendments.” Mains level : “Government policy and intervention for the development of various sector and issues arising out of their design and development.”
- PM Modi renames Ross, Neil & Havelock Islands in Andaman and Nicobar
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the renaming of three islands of Andaman and Nicobar on the occasion of 75th anniversary of Tricolour hoisting by Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose in Port Blair.
- The Prime Minister said,
- the Ross Island has been renamed as Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Dweep,
- the Neil Island would now be known as Shaheed Dweep and
- the Havelock Island as Swaraj Dweep.
Other Initiatives for the Island:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced and inaugurated a series of projects in energy, tourism, connectivity and employment sectors for Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- This includes 7 Megawatt solar power plant, Solar Village, launching of State Wide Network, Optical Fiber Cable connecting Chennai and Port Blair, plasma regasification plant, upgradation of Ayush and Garacharma hospitals, 50 MW LNG Power Plant, introduction of 20 electric cars, release of book on start-up policy, Lakshadweep and Andaman and Nicobar Island Industrial Development scheme and Chatham Bambooflat bridge.
- Mr Modi said, the Central government is making all efforts to make the life of people of Andaman and Nicobar Islands easier.
- During his visit to Car Nicobar, the Prime Minister laid wreath at the Tsunami Memorial and visited the Tsunami Memorial Museum. He inaugurated the ITI Arong and interacted with Members of Tribal Council.