ARMOURED SYSTEMS COMPLEX (ASC)
GS 3: Internal Security
Why in news?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Armoured Systems Complex (ASC), developed by Larsen & Toubro (L&T) at Hazira near Surat in Gujarat.
Armoured Systems Complex (ASC):
- This Armoured Systems Complex (ASC) is the country’s first private facility where the K9 Vajra self-propelled Howitzer guns will be manufactured. The Armoured Systems Complex (ASC) at Hazaria is a striking example of Make in India Defence.
- The L&T is executing the production of the K9 Vajra self-propelled Howitzer guns and has signed a transfer of technology contract for guns with South Korean company Hanwha Corporation.
- Also, around 400 SMEs are involved in developing 13,000 parts and steps are being taken to make a totally indigenous battle tank without having to depend on external help/
- The Army now doesn’t have to depend on foreign nations for spare parts during its 40-year life cycle.
- The Army’s life cycle cost will be drastically reduced.
K9 Vajra self-propelled Howitzer gun:
- The gun weighs 50 tonnes and can fire 47kg bombs at a 43-kilometre distance target.
- It can turn around at zero radii. K9 Vajra is a variant of K9 specially designed for operation in the desert areas bordering Pakistan.