Artificial intelligence in Healthcare
29, Nov 2018
Prelims level : AI in Healthcare and advantages in treatments and diagnosis Mains level :
GS 3: Science & Technology | Developments and their applications and effects in everyday life.
Why in news?
- Artificial intelligence (AI) systems poses an opportunity for medical professionals to learn more than before, the enormous amount of medical information can overwhelm the decision-making processes.
AI in healthcare:
- AI in healthcare can help to leverage technology to deploy efficient, impactful interventions at exactly the right moment in a patient’s care.
- Artificial intelligence can provide insights into diagnostics, care processes, treatment variability, and patient outcomes.
- AI systems can bring in better standardisation of processes, and therefore subjectivity in interpreting information will be reduced.
- AI-assisted robotic surgery, where robots are able to analyse pre-op medical data and guide a surgeon’s instrument during surgery, ensures patients develop fewer complications than otherwise.
- AI is that it can significantly improve efficiency, while reducing wastage and costs.
- Low doctor-patient ratio.
- To deliver remote medicine and create virtual access in an effective manner.
- Doctors with AI can treat and monitor patients across geographies .
- Healthcare organisations can plan policies, guidelines, strategies and infrastructure to address health needs in a precise manner, thereby optimising the resources and delivery.
- The State can prioritise plans, budgetary allotments with greater understanding and in optimal utilisation.
- The auto diagnosis tool is an AI-powered tool that runs on actual diagnostic tests results and provides probable risks factors.
- It also suggests users change their lifestyle by recommending diet and exercise plans.
- Further investigations (if any) and a list of repetitive examinations for regular health tracking and monitoring are also suggested.