ASEAN DEFENCE MINISTERS MEET
Why in News?
- Defence Minister has attended the 5thADMM plus meet in Singapore, which is a forum for Defence Ministers from ten ASEAN and eight ASEAN Plus countries.
5th ADMM Plus Meet:
- The theme of this year’s dialogue was ‘Strengthening Cooperation, Building Resilience’.
- The dialogue adopted two resolutions on ‘Countering the Threat of Terrorism’ and ‘Practical Confidence Building Measures’.
- The ASEAN Security Community (ASC) Plan of Action, adopted at the 10th ASEAN Summit, stipulates that ASEAN shall work towards the convening of an annual ADMM.
- Against this background, the Inaugural meeting of the ADMM was held in Kuala Lumpur on 9 May 2006.
- ADMM is the highest defence consultative and cooperative mechanism in ASEAN.
- The ADMM aims to promote mutual trust and confidence through greater understanding of defence and security challenges as well as enhancement of transparency and openness.
- All ASEAN Member States, namely Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Viet Nam are members of the ADMM.
- The ADMM-Plus is a platform for ASEAN and its eight Dialogue Partners to strengthen security and defence cooperation for peace, stability, and development in the region.
- The main objective of ADMM Plus is to benefit ASEAN member countries in building capacity to address shared security challenges.
- The ADMM-Plus countries include ten ASEAN Member States and eight Plus countries, namely Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Russian Federation, and the United States.
- The principles for membership to the ADMM-Plus process a country shall be
- A full-fledged Dialogue Partner of ASEAN;
- Have significant interactions and relations with ASEAN defence establishment;
- Able to work with the ADMM to build capacity so as to enhance regional security in a substantive way in order to promote capacity-building in the region in the fields of defence and security.
//php comments_template(); ?>