ASTRA BVR AIR-TO-AIR MISSILE – FLIGHT TEST
23, Sep 2018
Prelims level : Astra Missile Mains level : Utility of Astra Missile in IAFs arsenal
Why in News?
- Astra, the indigenously developed Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile (BVRAAM), was successfully test fired by the IAF from Su-30 aircraft.
- The missile successfully engaged a maneuvering target with high precision meeting the mission objectives.
- ·Astra is an all-weather beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation, India.
- It is the first air-to-air missile developed by India.
- It features mid-course inertial guidance with terminal active radar homing.
- Astra is designed to be capable of engaging targets at varying range and altitudes allowing for engagement of both short-range targets at a distance of 20 km (12 mi) and long-range targets up to a distance of 80 km (50 mi).
- Astra has been integrated with Indian Air Force’s Sukhoi Su-30MKI and will be integrated with Dassault Mirage 2000 and Mikoyan MiG-29 in the future.