BAN OF MELAMINE
25, Apr 2019
Prelims level : Melamine Mains level :
GS 3: Science & Technology – Awareness In The Fields Of It, Space, Computers, Robotics, Nano-Technology, Bio-Technology
Why in News?
The government has extended the ban on import of milk and its products, including chocolates, from China till laboratories at ports for testing presence of toxic chemical melamine are upgraded.
- India is the world’s largest producer and consumer of milk. It produces around 150 million tonne milk annually.
- Uttar Pradesh is the leading state in milk production followed by Rajasthan and Gujarat.
- India imports milk products from China, it has imposed the ban as a preventive measure.
- Melamine is an organic base chemical most commonly found in the form of white crystals rich in nitrogen.
- Melamine alone causes bladder stones in animal tests.
- When combined with cyanuric acid, which may also be present in melamine powder, melamine can form crystals that can give rise to kidney stones.