09, May 2019
Prelims level : Basel Convention Mains level : IR - Organizations
Why in News?
- 14th Conference of the Parties to the Basel Convention (COP-14) is being held in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The theme of the meetings will be ” Clean Planet, Healthy People: Sound Management of Chemicals and Waste”.
- The Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal was adopted on 22 March 1989 by the Conference of Plenipotentiaries in Basel,
- The overarching objective of the Basel Convention is to protect human health and the environment against the adverse effects of hazardous
- Its scope of application covers a wide range of wastes defined as “hazardous wastes” based on their origin and/or composition and their characteristics, as well as two types of wastes defined as “other wastes” – household waste and incinerator
Aims and provisions:
- The reduction of hazardous waste generation and the promotion of environmentally sound management of hazardous wastes, wherever the place of disposal;
- The restriction of transboundary movements of hazardous wastes except where it is perceived to be in accordance with the principles of environmentally sound management; and
- A regulatory system applying to cases where transboundary movements are
- The Convention also provides for the establishment of regional or sub-regional centres for training and technology transfers regarding the management of hazardous wastes and other wastes and the minimization of their generation to cater to the specific needs of different regions and subregions (article 14). Fourteen such centres have been