17, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Economy Mains level : GS-II Governance, Social Justice and International Relations
Why in News?
- Bharatmala is a name given to road and highways project of Government of India.
- The total investment for the Bharatmala plan is estimated at Rs10 trillion, which is the largest ever outlay for a government road construction scheme.
- Bharat Mala will provide easier access to border areas for armed forces and boost trade via the land route.
- Roads will be built along borders with Bhutan and Nepal.
- Road connectivity to small industries will be ensured and manufacturing centres will be connected with national highways.
- The project will be executed through Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways (MoRTH), NHAI, National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited (NHIDCL) and State Public Works Department (PWDs). Bharatmala is the largest highways project after the National Highways Development Programme.