Brahmos missile successfully fired
24, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- IAF successfully fired the BrahMos air version missile from its frontline Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
- The launch from the aircraft was smooth and the missile followed the desired trajectory before directly hitting the land target.
- The air-launched BrahMos missile is a 2.5- ton supersonic air to surface cruise missile with ranges of close to 300 km.
- India is developing the supersonic BrahMos missile with Russia, and according to media reports wants to soon start selling it abroad.
- BrahMos is a supersonic medium-range liquid-fuelled ramjet-powered cruise missile that can be launched from sea, land and air.
- It is a two-stage missile, with a solid-fueled first stage to bring it to supersonic speed. Surface-launched missiles can carry a 200-kg warhead, while the air-launched variant can carry a payload of 300 kg.
- It is manufactured in Hyderabad by BrahMos Aerospace, a joint venture between India’s DRDO and Russia’s NPO Mashinostroeyenia. BrahMos is named for the Brahmaputra and Moskva rivers of India and Russia respectively.