Prelims Syllabus : Science & Technology Mains Syllabus : GS-III Science & Technology
Why in News?
- Two BrahMos Surface-to-Surface missile tests were conducted at Trak Island in the Andaman Nicobar group of islands.
- A surface-to-surface missile (SSM) or ground-to-ground missile (GGM) is a missile designed to be launched from the ground or the sea and strike targets on land or at sea.
- They may be fired from hand-held or vehicle-mounted devices, from fixed installations, or from a ship.
- It is a medium-range ramjet supersonic cruise missile that can be launched from submarines, ships, aircraft or land.
- It is a joint venture between the Russian Federation’s NPO Mashinostroyeniya and India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The name BrahMos is a portmanteau formed from the names of two rivers, Brahmaputra and Moskva of Russia.
- It is the world’s fastest anti-ship cruise missile in operation.