Brief on SIMBEX-2019
22, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- IN ships Kolkata and Shakti are continuing their stay at Singapore to participate in the annual Singapore India Maritime Bilateral Exercise SIMBEX-2019.
- It is being held from 16-22 May 2019.
- The Singapore side will be represented by RSN ships Steadfast and Valiant, maritime patrol aircraft Fokker-50 (F-50) and F-16 fighter aircraft.
- SIMBEX was first initiated in 1993, since then it has become an annual affair.
- Over the years it has grown in operational and tactical complexity as well as from traditional anti-submarine exercises to more complex maritime exercises.
- It undertakes anti air or anti surface practice firings, air defence operations, advanced tactical exercises, etc.
- It has stood test of time in demonstrating commitment between India and Singapore in enhancing maritime cooperation between their navies and bolstering bonds of friendship between the two countries