British Airways resumes flights to Pakistan after decade-long suspension
03, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- British Airways (BA) resumed its flights to Pakistan today more than 10 years after it halted the service to that country following a bomb blast.
- Britain’s flagship carrier stopped flying to Pakistan after the Marriott hotel in the capital, Islamabad, was bombed in 2008, killing more than 50 people.
- The airline is now scheduled to fly three times a week, with Boeing 787 Dreamliners, to the Pakistani capital from London Heathrow.
- It is the only western airline to resume its service to Islamabad.
- Pakistan’s flag carrier, the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) was the only airline to run direct flights between Islamabad and London.