Prelims Syllabus : Science and Technology Mains Syllabus : Technology, Economic Development, Bio diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management
- Bacillus Thuringiensis Brinjal, popularly known as Bt brinjal is a type of Genetically Modified crop.
- Bt brinjal, a genetically modified strain created by inserting Cry 1Ac gene from the soil bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis into Brinjal.
- It gives resistance against Lepidopteron insects like brinjal fruit and shoot borer and fruit borer. Mechanism- ingestion
- of Bt toxin by insect there is disruption of digestive process resulting in death of insect.
- Potential health effects.
- terminator seed- i.e. farmer will be compel to buy seed from the company every time.
Genetically Modified Crop:
- It Involves inserting DNA into Genome of an organism
- UPSC question on Genetic Modified Crops- 2018.