CABINET APPROVES RESTRUCTURING OF NATIONAL HEALTH AGENCY
In News :
- Union Cabinet has approved the restructuring of National Health Agency as the National Health Authority for better implementation of Pradhan Mantri – Jan Arogya Yojana.
Pradhan Mantri – Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY) :
- PM-JAY is being described as the world’s largest health insurance scheme.
- It is a cashless and paperless access to health services up to Rs. 5 lakhs per year to poor and vulnerable people identified as per the socio-economic caste census.
- PM-JAY completed 100 days of implementation on 31st December 2018. So far, 41.5 lakh e-cards have issued to the beneficiaries with more than 6.95 lakh beneficiaries having availed services under PM-JAY through a network of 16,157 empaneled (and in process) hospitals, amounting to the tune of Rs. 924 crores.
National Health Authority :
- The National Health Authority shall have full autonomy, accountability and the mandate to implement PM-JAY through an efficient, effective and transparent decision-making process. The existing multi-tier governance structure has been replaced with a Governing Board (GB) chaired by the Minister of Health and Family Welfare with representation from the Government and domain experts.The government said that creation of the National Health Authority will lead to more effective implementation of PM-JAY as it will align the accountability with responsibility. With the authority, faster decision-making will be done, as the multi-layered structure has been simplified and the role of the Authority has been clarified.
- Availability of quality services will be there as the Authority will be able to specify treatment protocols and enforce their compliance. Government said that there will be reduction in leakages as the Authority will have stronger mandate to prevent, detect and control frauds and abuse and redress grievances. Government is also looking at increase in private sector investment in healthcare services, as the Authority will have the clear mandate to be a strategic purchaser and be able to set appropriate rates.
//php comments_template(); ?>