CABINET CLEARS SETTING UP OF COMMITTEE TO IMPLEMENT CLAUSE 6 OF ASSAM ACCORD
04, Jan 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- The Union Cabinet chaired has approved the setting up of a High-Level Committee for implementation of Clause 6 of the Assam Accord and measures envisaged in the Memorandum of Settlement,2003 and other issues related to Bodo community.
Clause 6 of Assam Accord:
- After Assam agitation of 1979-1985, Assam Accord was signed on 15th August, 1985.
- Clause 6 of the Accord envisaged that appropriate constitutional, legislative and administrative safeguards, shall be provided to protect, preserve and promote the cultural, social, linguistic identity and heritage of the Assamese people.
- However, it has been felt that Clause 6 of the Assam Accord has not been fully implemented even almost 35 years after the Accord was signed.
- Hence the Cabinet approved setting up of a High-Level Committee to suggest constitutional, legislative and administrative safeguards as envisaged in Clause 6 of the Assam Accord.
- Analyse the significance of Assam Accord in the growth of North East and its fall outs.