Chennai to get its first unmanned substation
14, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- The Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation (Tangedco) has identified a substation to be upgraded into an unmanned substation- the first of its kind in the city.
- The 33 (KV)/11 KV substation is located right at the heart of the central business district of Anna Salai, near the Express Mall on Woods Road.
- It has been chosen for the upgrade.
- The first substation in the city to be converted into an unmanned one, several substations in the State, including in Dindigul, Madurai and Tirunelveli, were already functioning in a similar manner.
- The unmanned substation concept is similar to the successful working model of the Power Grid Corporation India Limited (PGCIL).