China delivered fighter jet to Pakistan
24, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level : Write about China Pakistan Economic Corridor & Its effects on India
- China has delivered the first overhauled multi-role JF-17 fighter jet to Islamabad.
- This is a part of a project undertaken by the two countries over a decade ago for the development and manufacture of the aircraft.
- China and Pakistan had begun joint development and manufacture of the single-engine light JF-17 jets over a decade ago.
- In recent years JF-17 has become a mainstay of PAF when after US has restricted its sales of F-16 war planes post 1990 arms embargo imposed on Pakistan under Pressler Amendment. Pakistan is reported to have over 100 JF-17 planes with more in pipeline.
- More than a decade ago China and Pakistan had begun joint development and manufacture of single-engine light JF-17 jets.
- In 2007 Beijing delivered its first batch and a number of them were later commissioned by PAF.
- After over a decade of use, it was time for first JF-17s to undergo overhauls and first overhaul started in November 2017 after a contract was signed between two nations in 2016.