CHINA DEVELOPS ITS OWN ‘MOTHER OF ALL BOMBS
07, Jan 2019
Prelims level : “Science and technology-Defence.” Mains level : GS-3 “Science and technology, development and its application and effect in everyday life.”
- China has developed a massive bomb, said to be the country’s answer to the US-built ‘Mother of All Bombs’, the most powerful non-nuclear weapon.
- China’s defence industry giant NORINCO for the first time showcased the aerial bomb, the country’s largest non-nuclear bomb.
- It is dubbed as the Chinese version of the “Mother of All Bombs” due to its huge destruction potential that is claimed to be only second to nuclear weapons.
- The bomb was airdropped by an H-6K bomber and caused a gigantic explosion, as revealed in a promotional video released by China North Industries Group Corporation Limited (NORINCO) on its website at the end of December.
Mother of All Bombs:
- Last year, while waging war against militants in Afghanistan, the US military dropped a Massive Ordnance Air Blast weapon, more commonly known as the “Mother of All Bombs,” on the Islamic State.
- Although China is using the same nickname for its bomb, said to weigh several tonnes, the Chinese weapon is smaller and lighter than its American counterpart.
- To match the US weapon, Russia developed the “Father of All Bombs” which is both bigger and thermobaric, meaning it uses gas to create a huge fireball rather than a shockwave.