China issues travel for its citizens visiting the US
05, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- In an unusual move, China issued a travel for its citizens visiting the US, warning them of harassment and public security issues in the country as bilateral ties touched a new low amid a spiralling trade war.
- The warning came a day after China cautioned its students against going to the US for studies.
- China’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism issued the travel for Chinese tourists travelling to the United States.
- Noting the frequent occurrence of shootings, robberies and theft in the United States recently, the ministry warned Chinese tourists to fully assess the risks of travelling to the US.
- The travel is valid until the end of this year.
- Last year, the number of Chinese tourists visiting the US fell for the first time in 15 years, after more than a decade of rapid growth, amid the trade friction between the two countries. The two countries have been locked in an escalating conflict over trade for the past year.