Chinese President Xi Jinping arrives in Moscow
06, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- Chinese President Xi Jinping has arrived in Moscow for a state visit to Russia and the 23rd St. Petersburg International Economic Forum.
- Xi will have talks in the Kremlin with President Vladimir Putin before attending a formal reception.
- The visit comes five years after Moscow’s annexation of Crimea in 2014 led to a serious rift with its Western partners and subsequent turn toward its neighbour to the east.
- The three-day visit to Russia marks a new era of friendship and reinforce economic ties that had benefited from Moscow’s isolation from the West.
- From Moscow, Xi will travel to Russia’s former imperial capital Saint Petersburg to attend the Economic Forum hosted by Putin on Thursday and Friday.
- he partnership is yielding rising trade, which has increased by 25 percent in 2018 to hit a record 108 billion dollars.
- China is Russia’s most important economic partner. He also said that both countries would also discuss their relationship with the great Western powers, including the United States.