01, Apr 2019
Prelims level : Nil Mains level : GS III - Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
Why in News:
People tie rakhis to trees on south Mumbai in protest against Coastal Road project.
What is Chipko movement:
- Chipko movement was the uprising against the felling of trees and maintaining the ecological balance originated in Uttar Pradesh’s Chamoli district (now Uttarakhand) in 1973.
- The name of the movement ‘chipko’ comes from the word ’embrace’, as the villagers
- hugged the trees and encirled them to prevent being hacked.
- It was a silent, non-violent protest condemning ecological destruction.
- Sundarlal Bahuguna, a famous Gandhian, is said to have initiated this movement to guard the trees on the Himalayan slopes. Bahuguna is also known for coining the Chipko slogan ‘ecology is permanent economy’
- The movement’s biggest triumph was making people aware of their rights to forests, and how grassroots activism can influence policy-making regarding ecology and shared natural resources.