CMFRI and ISRO ink MoU to protect wetlands
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) and Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
- They will map, validate and protect smaller wetlands by restoring them through coastal livelihood programmes.
- They will develop a mobile app and a centralized web portal with a complete database of wetlands.
As per the agreement, National Wetland Atlas which has been already developed by the Space Applications Centre of ISRO will be updated with real-time data of physical, chemical and biological parameters of the wetlands to be provided by the CMFRI.
- The collaboration will aid in developing a comprehensive wetland information system which could facilitate the village-level wetland .
- advisories to the local people by scientific communities. The National Innovations in Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA) is aimed at finding ways and means to mitigate the impact of climate change on marine fisheries and coastal region.