DIBANG MULTIPURPOSE PROJECT
19, Jul 2019
Prelims level : Economy- Infrastructure Mains level : GS-III- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, etc.
Why in News?
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the expenditure on pre-investment activities and various clearances for Dibang Multipurpose Project (MPP) in Arunachal Pradesh for an amount of Rs. 1600 crore.
- Dibang Multipurpose Project:
- Dibang Multipurpose Project (Dibang MPP) is envisaged as a storage-based hydro-electric project with flood moderation as the key objective.
- The construction of Dibang MPP shall prevent the sizeable downstream area from floods. After implementation of master plan of Brahmaputra Board for flood moderation of all rivers contributing to river Brahmaputra, of which Dibang MPP is one of the components, sizable area will be protected from flooding and help in mitigating the perennial damage due to floods in Assam.
- The project shall generate 2880MW (12x240MW) power to produce 11223MU of energy in a 90% dependable year.
- This is the largest ever Hydro Electric Projects to be constructed in India.
- The dam is 278 metres high and will be the highest dam in India once completed.