Prelims Syllabus : Defence Infrastructure Mains Syllabus : GS-III- Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.
Why in News?
- The fifth Dornier squadron Indian Naval Air Squadron (INAS) 313, was commissioned into the Indian Navy by Admiral Karambir Singh.
Dornier Squadron INAS 313:
- It will enhance maritime security and safeguard our nation’s maritime interests
- The strategic position of the squadron will give India, dominance over the North-Eastern part of the Indian Ocean that also consists of trade routes.
- The Squadron will be operating from Chennai International Airport
- With the commissioning of INAS 313, Tamil Nadu will have 3 naval air bases, which is the highest among the Coastal States
- Other two air bases in Tamil Nadu are INS Rajali at Arakkonam and INS Parundu at Ramnad.
- INAS 313 is named ‘Sea Eagle’ from the bird of prey family Accipitridae
- Dornier aircraft is a multi-role Short Range Maritime Reconnaissance (SRMR) aircraft manufactured by HAL (Hindustan Aeronautics Limited).
- The aircraft performs maritime surveillance, Search and Rescue Operations, and targeting data to weapon platforms.
- Dornier aircraft from HAL will Contribute towards indigenous development and self-reliance through “Make in India”.