DRDO test fires guided bomb from Sukhoi combat jet
25, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully test-fired an indigenously-developed 500 kg class guided bomb from a Sukhoi combat jet at Pokhran in Rajasthan.
- The guided bomb achieved the desired range and hit the target with high precision.
- All the mission objectives have been met during the test firing of the bomb, adding it is capable of carrying different warheads.
- The test firing of the guided bomb came two days after the Indian Air Force successfully test fired the aerial version of the supersonic BrahMos cruise missile from a Sukhoi jet at the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The 2.5-tonne air-to-surface missile has a range of around 300 km, and it will significantly enhance the IAF’s combat capability