Earth Hour 2019
GS 3: Environment | Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
Why in News?
- The Earth Hour 2019 was observed on March 30 from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm local time.
- Theme: #Connect2Earth.
- World Wide Fund for Nature’s (WWF) Earth Hour is an annual global celebration in which people switch off their lights for one hour to show they care about the future of our planet.
- It began in Sydney, Australia in 2007, the number of countries taking part in Earth Hour has grown to over 180 countries and territories.
- It aims to put the spotlight on the issues facing the planet, and to inspire millions across the world to live more sustainably.
- The Earth Hour India carried hashtag#Bee4ThePlanet.
World Wildlife Fund:
- The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is an international non-governmental organization founded in 1961,working in the field of wilderness preservation, and the reduction of humanity’s footprint on the environment.
- It was formerly named the World Wildlife Fund, which remains its official name in Canada and the United States.
- Headquartered in Gland, Switzerland.
- The group’s mission is “to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature”.
//php comments_template(); ?>