EMPOWERED GROUP (NUMBER 6)
06, Apr 2020
Prelims level : Governance Mains level : GS-II Government policies and interventions for development in Various Sectors and Issues Arising out of their Design and Implementation.
Why in News?
- Empowered Group (number 6) constituted to address the issues pertaining to identification of problems, effective solutions and formulation of plans.
- The six detailed meetings with UN Resident Coordinator for India, and country heads of WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA, UNDP, ILO, UN Women, UN-Habitat, FAO, World Bank, and Asian Development Bank.
- Outcome: Providing technical support in monitoring and surveillance systems, strengthening health and nutritional services, capacity building, financial resources and critical equipment support, etc.
- The UN in India has built a Joint Programme Response Plan and submitted it to NITI Aayog, defining their clear activities and deliverables in different sectors and States, where they are partnering with Union Ministries and State Governments.
Civil Society Organisations and Development Partners:
- Detailed deliberations with 40 plus prominent CSOs and NGOs working in different parts of the country and with different communities.
- Several challenges and issues raised by these CSOs were addressed to facilitate their working in the field during this crisis.
- CEO NITI Aayog has written to NGOs/ CSOs registered on the Darpan portal of NITI Aayog, appealing them to assist the government in identifying hotspots and deputing volunteers and care givers to deliver services to the elderly, persons with disabilities, children, transgender persons, and other vulnerable groups;
- to create awareness about prevention, social distancing, isolation, and combating stigma;
- to provide shelter to homeless, daily wage workers, and urban poor families;
- set up community kitchens for migrants.
- Industry Associations – CII, FICCI, ASSOCHAM, NASSCOM and Representatives from Industry
- The committee has opened up cross-sectoral dialogue within the private sector and startups to engender collaboration among them to produce health equipment and PPEs.
- International Organisations:The UN agencies, World Bank, Asian Development Bank
- NGOs: Civil Society Organisations and development partners
- Private Sector:Industry associations – CII, FICCI, ASSOCHAM, NASSCOM
- The Empowered Committee is chaired by Amitabh Kant, CEO NITI Aayog.