EU willing to renegotiate Brexit deal: UK Foreign Secy
10, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel indicated that the European Union would be willing to renegotiate the Brexit deal.
- Hunt is one of nearly a dozen Conservatives to replace Theresa May as party leader and UK Prime Minister.
- Jeremy Hunt spoke with Ms Merkel last week and was convinced changing Ms May’s agreement.
- Hunt did not specify if he was referring to the legally binding withdrawal agreement, which the EU has repeatedly insisted cannot be re-opened, or to the accompanying political declaration on future relations, which could be revisited.
- Ms May had agreed the package with the EU last year but British lawmakers rejected it three times, forcing her to delay Brexit twice – the latest extension being to 31st October.