EX AVIAINDRA 2018
11, Dec 2018
Prelims level : India - Russia startegic relationship, Ex Aviaindra 2018 Mains level : GS 2: IR | Bilateral, regional & global groupings & agreements involving India &/or affecting India’s interests
Why in News?
- The second edition of the service-specific exercise AVIAINDRA between Indian Air Force (IAF) and Russian Federation Aerospace Force (RFAF), has been commenced at Air Force Station Jodhpur in Rajasthan on December 10, 2018. This bi-annual air-service exercise will conclude on December 22, 2017.
- The primary objective of this bi-annual air service exercise is to strengthen both of the air forces for anti-terrorist operations.
- Besides strengthening air forces, it also seeks to increase cooperation and build understanding between IAF and RFAS. This air service exercise takes place in two phases.
- This exercise allows foreign partners to participate without their assets. Indian Air Force pilots and Russian Federation Aerospace Force pilots flew aircraft when this air exercise was held at Lipetsk, Russia in September 2018.
- Similarly, RFSAF and IAF pilots will fly aircraft during in this 12-day long service specific exercise.
- Russia has been a major partner of India in the defence sector and the cooperation has been steadily growing further.
- In October 2017, India and Russia held a 10-day mega war game involving their armies, navies and air forces for the first time ramp up military ties.
- The exercise Indra, which took place in Russia, primarily focused on achieving coordination between forces of the two countries in tri-services integrated theatre command scenario.
- It was the first time, India participated in tri-services exercise with a foreign country with large scale participation by the Navy, the Army and the Air Force.