Expansion of beneficiaries list under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
Why in News?
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has cleared the proposal to release deposit free LPG connections to poor families, who have not been considered earlier under PMUY on account of their names not been covered in Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC).
- Poor families who could not get LPG connection under PMUY are now eligible to get a connection subject to fulfilling the eligibility norms and furnishing required documents, they include:
- oSC/STs households
- oBeneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Gramin),
- oBeneficiaries of Antyodaya Anna Yojana(AAY),
- oForest dwellers,
- oMost Backward Classes (MBC),
- oTea & Ex-Tea Garden Tribes,
- oPeople residing in Islands / river islands
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:
- PMUY is a welfare scheme being implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas to provide LPG connections to families below the poverty line, guided by the strong commitment to bring about changes in the life of poor women and also protect their health.
- Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC) is used to identify the beneficiaries (adult woman of a BPL family) and is given a deposit free LPG connection with a financial assistance of Rs.1600 per connection by the centre.
- This scheme will help prevent pollution and facilitate the healthy atmosphere in the families of poor people.
//php comments_template(); ?>