04, Jul 2019
Prelims level : Environment EN6 - Environmental Impact Assessment Mains level : GS3M - Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
Why in News?
- The National Green Tribunal has sought a report from the authorities on the current status on disposal and management of fly ash.
- Fly ash is a major source of PM 2.5 (fine, respirable pollution particles) in summer. It becomes airborne, and gets transported to a radius of 10 to 20 kms.
- It can settle on water and other surfaces.
- Fly ash contains heavy metals from coal, a large amount of PM 2.5 and black carbon (BC).
- Fly ash, the end product of combustion during the process of power generation in the coal based thermal power plants, is a proven resource material for many applications of construction industries and currently is being utilized in manufacturing of Portland Cement, bricks/blocks/tiles manufacturing, road embankment construction and low-lying area development, etc.