FORMULATION OF SCHEME FOR REHABILITATION OF BEGGARS
21, Mar 2020
Prelims level : Governance - Health & Education, Disaster Management Unit Mains level : GS-II Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector or Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has proposed to restructure and formulate a scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation of Beggars
- It will be a comprehensive scheme for persons engaged in the act of begging.
- The scheme will cover identification, rehabilitation, provision of medical facilities, counselling, education, skill development with the support of State Governments, Local Urban Bodies and Voluntary Organizations.
- The scheme will be implemented in the selected cities having large concentration of Beggar community during the financial year 2020-2021.
- The government is working in a mission mode with complete commitment to‘Har Ek Kaam, Desh Ke Naam’.
- Pilot project of this scheme will be initiated during Financial Year 2019-20 subject to submission of city specific Action Plan by the State Governments.
- 100% Assistance under the Scheme shall be provided to the States/UTs for its implementation.
- During the year 2019-20, this Ministry has released an amount of Rs. One Crore to National Institute of Social Defence (NISD) and Rs. 70.00 Lakh to National Backward Classes Finance & Development Corporation (NBCFDC) for skill development programmes for beggars.
- The Corporation has so far conducted skill development training programme for 400 members of beggar’s community in Warehouse Packer, Hand-rolled Agarbatti making, Hand Embroiderer and other self-employment skill development training programmes.
National Backward Classes Finance & Development Corporation:
- NBCFDC was incorporated 13th January 1992 as a non-profit company under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India to improve and develop the economic activities for the members of Backward Classes who are living below double the poverty line.
- The Corporation can assist loan for their self-employment ventures in the sectors like agriculture, transport and service etc.
- NBCFDC also provides Micro Financing through SCAs/ Self Help Groups (SHGs).
- The Corporation can assist a wide range of income generating activities to assist the poorer section of these classes in skill development and self-employment ventures.