FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION TO GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES
26, Jul 2019
Prelims level : Governance- Rights Issues, Policies, Institutional Reforms Mains level : GS-II- Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential; citizens charters, transparency & accountability and institutional and other measures.
Why in News?
- It is mentioned that as per Rule 8 of Central Civil Services (Conduct) Rules, 1964, no Government servant shall, except with the previous sanction of the Government, own or conduct or participate in the editing or management of, any public media.
Central Civil Services (Conduct) Rules provides:
- Which has the effect of an adverse criticism of any current or recent policy or action of the Central Government or a State Government
- which is capable of embarrassing the relations between the Central Government and the Government of any State
- which is capable of embarrassing the relations between the Central Government and the Government of any foreign State
- Bonafide expression of views by office-bearers of a trade union or association of Government servants for the purpose of safeguarding the conditions of service of such Government servants or for securing an improvement thereof.
- Views expressed by a Government servant in his official capacity or in the due performance of the duties assigned to him.