French Open: Rafael Nadal lifts Men’s Singles title for 12th time
10, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- In Tennis, world number two Rafael Nadal has lifted the French Open Men’s Singles title for the 12th time.
- In the summit clash played at Paris last night, the Spaniard defeated Austrian fourth seed Dominic Thiem, 6-3, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1 to win at the Roland Garros for the third straight year.
- The 33-year-old became the first player to win 12 Singles titles at the same Grand Slam and has now won 18 majors overall.
- Nadal is now just two titles behind Roger Federer’s all-time record of 20 majors and is three ahead of world number one Novak Djokovic.
- Nadal also took his Paris record to an astonishing 93 wins and just two losses. The win also gave Nadal an 82nd career title and 950th match win.
- 25-year old Thiem suffered his second Grand Slam final defeat after he lost to Nadal in three sets in last year’s title clash.