Prelims Syllabus : International organizations/International treaties Mains Syllabus : GS 2: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India's interests, Indian Diaspora.
- A statue of Mahatma Gandhi has been removed from Ghana’s most prestigious university after complaints that “he was racist against black Africans”.
- India’s former president Pranab Mukherjee had unveiled the statue of the global peace icon at the University of Ghana in Accra two years ago as a symbol of close ties between the two nations.
- But lecturers soon began a petition calling for its removal, citing passages written by Mahatma Gandhi claiming that Indians were “infinitely superior” to black Africans.
- The online protest was one among many on university campuses in Africa and beyond about the enduring symbols of the continent’s colonial past.
- The other side mentioned that it was removed on the note of ‘self-respect’